Friday, December 28, 2007

Paradox at Sea

The whole world was shaken by the news of Benazir Bhutto’s assassination yesterday in Pakistan. And here we are, getting ready to embark on a breakthrough educational experiment in teaching students about international relations and we had to learn about this important news as part of a casual discussion during dinner time! So lesson #1 was: being on this ship, we have entered a bubble where isolation from everyday news and world events is going to enable us to focus closely on helping our students hone their abilities to be culturally evolved and sensitive while attuned to the needs of international business and community. BUT we will spend a lot of time in that bubble, away from any breaking news…
As a person who had devoted her professional career in the last 10 years to promote the Internet with its “web of inclusion”, I find my position here ironic somewhat. Immersion in a four months journey while mostly disconnected from this lifeline of knowledge and news, I am experiencing a great level of discomfort… As I rush to one of the only two computers on board with Internet connection to read more about the impact of Bhutto’s death, I keep telling myself, “my students will need to understand that; especially as we head towards India!” yet I know that part of what we are here to learn and to teach is how NOT to be swept by the lore of constant connectivity so we can turn and look into each other’s ‘true being’ and what it is that will allow us to use our human commonalities to communicate effectively with no external tools at our disposal…
But did George Bush’s look into Putin’s eyes help us all understand better Time Magazine’s Man of the Year, Tsar Putin? Or are we obligated, in this world of ever accelerating global change to be as knowledgeable as we can about the developing geopolitical conditions at all times in order to become better leaders, business people and members of the global community? What shall I teach my students? How shall I teach them while potentially being disconnected from the world at sea? Do we all need to disconnect at times in order to learn how to better connect???

No comments: