Tuesday, March 4, 2008

OnBoard Workshop - Training Young African Scientists in Enterpreneurship
































Everywhere you go, you see the above smiling faces of young Black Africans working diligently and proudly. And you cannot help yourself but wonder - how do they do it? As we all receive warnings about the rampant violence in the country and the desperate battle with HIV/AIDS, coupled with tremendous unemployment and an energy crisis, we look at their faces and hear their voices and the word "hope" seems to be the only antidote...

With that in mind, I volunteered to give a one day workshop on board the ship to a group of 12 Black African scientists and researchers struggling with the challenge of transforming their innovations into the future commercial successes that will power their country's economy. They came from various African countries, like Kenya, Uganda, and Ghana, but were mostly from South Africa and they spend a full day with me drinking every bit of information and stories i have shared with them in total concentration.

I was humbled by their hunger and determination and moved by their request, "Please come back; stay here for a year and train us!".

I knew that I will not be able to teach them in one day the essence of being an entrepreneur, so I aimed for inspiring them and making them believe a bit more in their ability to be change agents and catalysts within their scientific community. I know that some of the examples I have given them were so US-Centric that it made me embarrassed at times for using them (where the hell will they find VC's to drop $2 million in their lap and then afford to fail??). But they re-assured me that they wanted to learn to place the bar high so their goals will be far reaching and powerful to motivate them to persevere.

When it was all over, they gathered around me and wanted me to give them a copy of all my presentations plus any other materials I had. It was the ultimate gratification knowing they will probably go on to share it with many and that this one day's experience will be multiplied many more times...

We are now at the mid point of our voyage. We have been taking more than giving to date. Africa gave me the chance to give back and for that I am grateful...

No comments: